Sitting down to revise City of the Saints. I get comments from the Story Monkeys weekly and revise as I go from the beginning of writing, so I never feel like my “rough” draft is really, really dire, but I want to straighten up its tie and wash its face before sending it off to the mines to earn its keep.
Here are my revision objectives:
- Resolve all collected and not-yet-resolved comments.
- Make each POV character’s inner monolog, and all characters’ spoken lines, consistent and distinctive.
- Make sure each POV character has at least one crisp sub-plot running all the way through and clearly resolving, and clear, sympathetic and true-to-life motivations throughout with respect to the main plot.
- Add steampunkiness! (Victorian dress details, machines!)
- Smooth narrative flow, eliminate infelicitous word choices, and increase vividness of prose generally.